Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Summary of 2nd half of July: Slow but steady

It has been quite some time since I have blogged and I have not been great about keeping track of our miles. I have this habit of writing the stats on little pads of stickies scattered around my house and sometimes I lose them or don't keep the dates straight. If I am not careful I might lose my job as keeper of the stats! Here is a table of our rides from the 2nd half of July. Unfortunately I didn't always record the route and I managed to miss one ride altogether so there are a lot of question marks. (sorry Joyce).

As Joyce mentioned in her blog, we have had lots of adventures throughout the bay and have found some great places to train. We really enjoy riding to the end of Alpine Rd. since it has very little traffic and is great practice going up and down hills. The Three Bears is also quite enjoyable although challenging. My favorite part of the rides is seeing all the wildlife and farm animals, although I have to wonder if the cows hanging out in the pastures staring at us as we ride by think we are crazy (I certainly do!). The Tour of San Francisco including Twin Peaks was quite a challenge. I cannot say I really enjoyed it, especially with the fog and wind, but I was proud of our accomplishment. I can say for a fact that 3 months ago I would not have been able to finish that ride. While I was consistently the last rider up the hill, I made it up every one without having to walk up any part. The last time I rode in San Francisco, I walked almost as much as I rode (that may be a little exageration).

This is a map that outlines the Three Bears Loop (the upper orange highlighted route) as well as the ride we did from Tilden Park on July 15 (lower orange and green loop).



I know Joyce posted some pictures from these rides in her blog, since I don't have any to post I will continue with the animal theme. Here is a picture of one of my cats, Emma (when she was younger and much lighter) hanging out on my shoulder.



You might notice (most people do) that she is a little cross-eyed. Despite this handicap :) she has no problem seeing her food and has grown into a plump kittie who loves to hang out under the blankets when I am not home. I have more to say about our August rides but will save that, and some more animal pictures, for another blog.

No comments: