Sunday, June 3, 2007

Cross-training Works

Well, once again I have gotten behind in my blogging. I really meant to write sooner about my ride with Jerry across the Golden Gate on May 26 but things were a little hectic last week. So here it is 9 days later and I am finally getting to it! This was my longest and most amount of climbing to date, so it was a momentous day for me.

The plan was to meet at Crissy Field at 8:30 AM. Of course, getting to the city always takes longer than I expect so I was a little late but not as late as some of the other riders. As I was getting ready I realized I left my helmet at home. Fortunately another rider had a spare so I was ok! I met a few of the riders, including a 78 year old rheumatologist (!!!!) who had done the CCC last year. We were discussing how we were both a little slow so we decided to start riding rather than wait for the riders that were running late. So, we took off for the Golden Gate. The weather was less than ideal, it was cold, overcast, and a bit windy. I wished I had my leg warmers, next time I will know better. We rode across the bridge and stopped for a quick break in Sausalito. Then we continued on to Tiburon. We stopped at Shark's deli for lunch and I waited there for Jerry. We then rode along Paradise Drive and then headed back to Crissy Field. The views were spectacular and it was a great ride. The sun even came out briefly and I warmed up a bit before heading back to San Francisco, where the fog, wind and cold was still hanging on. Getting back up to the Golden Gate was the most challenging part of the ride. It was steep and the wind made it feel like you were pedaling in place. I thought I might need to walk part of it but stopped briefly and then continued on. I was thrilled to make it to the top! Getting back over the bridge was also a bit challenging. There were tons of tourists on rented bikes to manuever around and the wind was intense. We got back to the cars and I was smiling from ear to ear! I had successfully completed the ride and didn't feel too bad. Also, for the first time ever, I wasn't the last rider up the hills :)

Here are the stats for the ride: 41.6 miles over 3 hours 46 minutes (not including the hour or so for lunch). Average speed 10.9, max 28.8 mph. Altitude, max 300, trip +2144, -2039. Max grade -28% (at one point earlier in the trip the altimeter had recorded the grade as 14% so that is probably the high point), average 1%.

The next day (May 27) I managed to ride again and didn't feel too bad, although my right knee was a bit sore after a little bit of climbing. I rode from Mountain View to Arastradero around Stanford's Campus then over to the Baylands and back home for a total of 28.15 miles over 2 hours 14 minutes. Average speed 12.5, max 35.3 mph. Altitude max 351, trip +787, -731, max grade 15%, average 0%.

I took Memorial Day as a day of rest and enjoyed a bbq at David's. Unfortunately, while driving home that night I developed a severe headache and vomiting. It was so bad that at 2 AM I called Joyce to bring me to the ER. That was an adventure itself. I got my first bolus of IV fluids and some meds for nausea and pain. I spent the next day at home sleeping, recovering, and getting ready for my trip to Denver. I packed lots of workout clothes and actually used them while I was away! I went to the hotel gym Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I did about 35 minutes of eliptical and then lifted weights. I also did some crunches for the first time and my abs hurt to laugh :)

All of this cross training is paying off (or I was riding with the wind today). After getting back to CA this evening I decided to go for a ride instead of doing the work I needed to do. I did a similar loop as described above along Arastradero, through Stanford, along the baylands, and back home. I rode 30.1 miles over 2 hours 9 minutes. Average speed 13.9!!!!!!! (MY FASTEST SPEED EVER), max 31 mph. Altitude max +242, trip +808, -729. Max grade 12%, average 0%. I was not excited about riding today but decided to do it after talking to my sister who encouraged me to get out and do it. I am glad I did because I could really see improvement. I have ridden along Arastradero 3 times now and this was the first time that I didn't need to stop during the climb!! In fact, I didn't stop once during the ride. I also picked up the pace along the flats significantly. Hopefully I can keep up the exercise over the next week while I am in San Diego.

No comments: