Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Not much progress this week...

Well, since my two fellow bloggers are recovering from last minute income tax preparations (thanks for doing mine, Mom!), I will pitch in and cover our latest tales of cycling. Last Sunday, April 15, Dwight, Mel and I were able to meet up with Jerry and another CCC cyclist, Leticia. We went from Canada Road in Woodside to Mountain Hill, Alpine Road and Sand Hill Road...basically the opposite loop of what we had done last week with Jerry. It was a busy work week, so Mel did not have any chance at all to bike, and all I did was a short hour session on the bike trainer indoors in the garage while reading a magazine. Obviously, it was not enough, because Mel and I were begging for mercy at the end of the ride. The crazy thing is that Jerry had just done a century (a 100-mile ride!) the day before!!! It's unbelievable! (what's unbelievable? how strong Jerry is? or how wimpy Mel and I are?) Anyways, we had some uphill stretches and some more practice riding with traffic in the middle of the road. I don't know how I will ever handle the little clippy bike shoe pedal things, because I can barely start and stop now with regular pedals! I had one little fall while attempting to dismount, but nothing major. All in all, we were able to bike 21.3 miles and had 1000 feet of climbing. It was good just getting out there on the sunny day in pretty Woodside and nice to see Dwight again. Dwight did great! However, I could definitely feel the difference of not training midweek because I felt rather tired and sore afterwards. I'll have to try to get some more workouts in in the middle of the week, even if it is just indoors on the trainer- it'll be better than nothing. Baby steps. Baby steps.

Mel's leaving for a scientific meeting for the Arthritis Foundation tomorrow, so she'll have no biking in this weekend. This Saturday morning, we have our Juvenile Arthritis Day at the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose, so no biking for me either. I need to work on a paper, so things will be tight, but I'll try to get some indoor cycling in at least.

No comments: