Monday, April 23, 2007

Update from Mel, AKA Dr. Gadget

Well, I know it is a little over due but as I promised Joyce here are the stats from some of our recent rides.

April 7, 2007: rode 22 miles over 1 hr 53 minutes with an average speed of 11.8 mph and max of 102.7 mph (I guess the wireless thing is still getting its signals crossed!). The trip altitudes +1187, -1169, max 2296.

April 8, 2007: rode 13 miles over 1 hour 10 minutes, avg speed 10.9, max 24.6. Trip altitudes +529, -529, max 554, total climb to date 1717 feet. Please note this ride should have been worth more because it followed the ride on April 7, which practically killed us!

April 15, 2007: rode 21.6 miles, 1 hr 51 minutes, average 11.6 mph and max 29.7. Trip altitudes +1212, -1158, max 529, total climb to date 2929.

Since then we have both been lame although I did go for a short ride last friday (april 20) while away at my Arthritis Foundation Research Meeting. We were at Stone Mountain, outside of Atlanta, at this conference center. Turns out they had some mountain bikes you could sign a waver to ride. They are smart to have you sign a waver because those bikes were pretty shabby. I certainly got a new appreciation of Pinkie! These bikes were rusty and has issues with shifting. Plus my bike squeeked continuously with peddling! After a few minutes I was able to stop laughing at the squeek, then I thought I would die when I was stuck in an easy gear and all I could do was spin! The park was beautiful although we only rode for about 20 or 25 minutes before heading to the resorts gym where I finished off my workout with about 25 minutes on the eliptical!

Everyone said we should cross train and I tried to hike up stone mountain the next day but the Tour de Georgia bike race was going on and we would have missed the afternoon session if we had gone for the hike so instead we took a leisurely walk around the park. I did get to see lots of cyclists, including someone with a pink Trek just like mine!

So, what is my excuse for not riding since returning? Well, I was a bit "jet lagged" yesterday and today would have been perfect if my poor kitty Li'l Bit didn't go into cardiac arrest while getting anesthesia for her surgery. Fortunately the CPR was successful so she is home resting comfortably today but I didn't want to leave her so I took a nap instead of riding my bike. Tomorrow I promise......

Seriously, I have to pick up the training pace, especially since I solicited lots of donations at the AF meeting. I can't let everyone down!

No comments: