Saturday, March 17, 2007

Another goal reached! (and breaking all the rules!)

Coyote Creek Trail

Today was a pretty big day for us! Mel and I headed down to San Jose and met Dwight at the San Jose velodrome. At first, I was only going to ride about 14 miles, keeping in line with the 10% mileage increase biking training "rule," since my most mileage previously had been around 12 miles. Well, the Coyote Creek Trail runs from Coyote Hellyer County Park in San Jose for a level 15 miles to Anderson Lake County Park in Morgan Hill. It is a nice, paved bike path that is listed as a 2 waterbottle ride (most likely for the amount miles, and not for any hills). It was a gorgeous, sunny day, and we started off at a nice pace, on a flat path, with very few distractions (such as tons of walkers or little kids to run over). So, the conditions were ideal! Well, we just decided to keep on going and going and going! We ended up cranking out around 31.5 miles round trip!! I am in serious violation of the 10% rule! I didn't fall, practiced my sharp turns, and the only mishap of the day was a near collision with some roller-bladers (whew, that was close!). I did have some eye issues (where are my soft contacts? note to self...must find, soon) and we also had a refresher course in flat tire changing! There was a little bit of glass or plastic in Dwight's rear wheel which caused a slow leak in the tube. Mel fixed it up, while I downed two Luna bars. I thought the worst part was the last 5 miles before the turnaround point as we headed towards the end of the forward trip towards Morgan Hill. After that, we cruised along at a good pace back to the velodrome parking lot, slightly coasting downhill and thinking about the good food we would treat ourselves to. We had the best post-bike lunch ever: 2 huge scoops of ice cream! Check it out...



So the major milestones of today were:
1) First bike ride with Dwight (yay!)
2) Most mileage ever for both me and Mel (31.5 miles, what were we thinking?!?!)...and our first 2 waterbottle ride!
3) Most amount of Luna bars I've ever consumed in 1 day (4 total bars: two before and two during) and most amount of bugs ingested (TNTC: too numerous to count)
4) First flat tire to be changed by Mel (strong work!)

After today, I also expect more blogs from Mel and Dwight, so I won't be accused of being a blog-hog. Okay?

1 comment:

Mel said...

Normally I wouldn't be one to break the rules :) but I am impressed with your progress. Riding 31+ miles after only starting to ride a couple of weeks ago is an accomplishment. Hopefully I won't have to cover your clinic Monday because you are too sore to move!