Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Joyce vs. Nature!

Sunday, March 11, 2006: Canada Road

On this day, we were able to get out to Canada Road in Woodside for a bike ride. Because it was Bicycle Sunday, there were plenty of other cyclists around, even though by the time we arrived, the road had already been opened up to traffic. It was a nice ride, but I experienced my first bike malfunction when my gears got stuck...Mel's super-duper biking friend suggested lube for the chain.

That was only the beginning of my bicycling difficulties! First, here's Mel on Canada Road...





Tuesday, March 13, 2006: Steven's Creek Trail in Mountain View

Yesterday, we rushed home from work early to go on a little bike ride. Little it was indeed, since I was fighting against the natural elements! Both Mel and I were in a bit of a hurry since we wanted to get some mileage in before it became dark. I should have had something an energy bar and something to drink, because yesterday was just one fall after another. Not only were we in a rush, but it was breezy and getting dark. I took off my sunglasses and had so many contact lens issues! I'm going to have to wear my soft lenses from now on for the bike rides, that was horrible! I had a big crash in the middle of the ride- my bike and I slid off the trail and partly down the grassy slope. Grass and twigs were all tangled in my bike wheels and the chain fell off the gear things. Mel and I had to do some adjustments and the front tire also became a bit wonky (either it bent or the front brake got squished a little). Good thing I'm getting in the damage now because today is time for our 1 month baby check-ups at the bike shop. I would like to get my handlebars raised a little bit if possible, my chain fixed and for them to look at my front tire. We really need a bike repair/maintenance class after yesterday's experience! Good thing I'm taking my bike to the "doctor" this afternoon!

No comments: