Sunday, March 18, 2007

Steven's Creek/Shoreline Trail: March 18, 2007

The thought of getting on the bike today after yesterday's long ride was not too appealing. I woke up stiff with sore shoulders, neck, and back. When I put my cycling shoes on my feet ached a bit. When I got on the bike, my butt was sore immediately. What were we thinking, riding 530 miles over 8 days? Thank goodness I have Joyce to motivate me, otherwise I might have rolled over and gone back to bed rather than get ready to ride.

We decided to take it easy today since yesterday was a bit strenuous, especially for Joyce who broke the 10% rule. I guess she needs a remedial class in math since she was off by more than a factor of 10! I rode over to Joyce's (2.3 miles away) and we headed for the trail. We rode at a leisurely pace, averaging ~11 MPH. Of course I can't vouch for the accuracy of my odometer since it flashed speeds of ~25 MPH for a few seconds a couple of times and somehow the max speed is recorded at 54.1 MPH. As Joyce pointed out, if we kept that pace up we would finish a century in less than 2 hours! Joyce rode 16 miles and I rode 20 miles today. The ride was pretty enjoyable except for the aches and pains that increased along the way. It was a bit breezy but sunny. We saw lots of shore birds, some ground squirrels and jack rabbits. Joyce didn't even fall when we got startled by a killer flock of pigeons :)

I don't know about Joyce, but I was pretty tired after the ride. I ate a somewhat more balanced lunch today (turkey, cheese, avocado sandwich) and then sat outside for a while letting Forrest enjoy the sunshine. Then came the nap. It makes me wonder, can I take a nap after every ride? That seems to be my pattern lately. Now it is time to work on my paper, we'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Joyce, did you notice I had mistakenly written you rode 16 hours not 16 miles? I corrected it so the truth will be known. I can't have people thinking you are some super biking friend :)