Monday, March 26, 2007

East Bay Adventures: March 25, 2007

First let me say that I am a bit disappointed that there have been no blog entries since my last entry 1 week ago! What's up Joyce and Dwight? :) I guess I should also admit that I am a bit disappointed in myself since the haven't ridden much in the past week. My original plan had been to ride 2 or 3 times during the week and then both Saturday and Sunday. Due to other commitments such as meetings and my paper I hardly did any riding.

I finally did go for a ride Sunday March 25. My original plan had been to go back to the Tilden Regional Park and do the ride that I had struggled with a few weeks ago. However, the weather didn't cooperate. Both Saturday and Sunday the park was fogged in and did not look very inviting. Despite the clouds and breeze I managed to get on my bike Sunday. I can't tell you exactly how far or how fast I rode due to more cyclometer trouble. I rode along the Ohlone Greenway from El Cerrito to Berkeley, through the streets of Berkeley, over the bike bridge to the Emeryville Marina. At that point, I stopped for a break and my tripometer registered 11.9 miles. When I started back again, the computer when crazy. It was reading MPH much faster than I was going and suddenly the miles were increasing more than I was riding. I stopped, readjusted things and it seemed to return to normal. I rode for 2 hours 45 minutes including a couple decent hills. The cyclometer read 33.3 miles, avg 11.9 mph, max 72.2 mph (man I am fast!!!!!). I think I rode about 30 miles at about 11 MPH.

I brought the bike to the bike shop to discuss this. They say that electromagnetic things like power lines can interfere with the computer. I guess I have a magnetic personality! Actually my ipod was part of the problem. I will have to be careful with puting electronics too close to the computer. I will keep close tabs on the computer for now but may need to replace it.

Hopefully this week will include more miles than last week. Next weekend we have our first ride with Jerry Kruse, our CCC trainer. Don't want to look TOO bad.

No comments: