Sunday, March 4, 2007

Finally, good weather!

As Mel mentioned in her comment, we finally had a chance for a little bike ride yesterday. We went to a bike path in the East Bay, riding along the bay from around El Cerrito to Richmond. It was a nice, sunny day and the weather was perfect! It was really pretty along the path, but I was mostly concentrating on not falling and not hitting anybody. I was pretty nervous since it was my first time riding my new bike outside the garage, but luckily, no injuries! I need to practice getting on and getting off the bike, as well as stamina on the bike, since I feel the positioning is a bit uncomfortable (my back, shoulders and hands are sore today). I feel like such a poser with all my new stuff and I can barely ride! I'm amazed by all the little kids on their bikes, going fast without training wheels! I need a little courage from them. I must admit, I'm a bit daunted after the first ride! It's hard! Will I ever be able to ride 70-80 miles a day for 8 days straight?? I'm going to keep practicing though and we'll see how it goes. If not this year, maybe 2008?

Here are some photos of Mel and me with our bikes before the ride:






Doesn't Mel look cute with her pink bike?

Today, I rode for about an hour in an empty, large parking lot of an office building near my house. There were no people, no traffic, and no little kids to wander into my way. I practiced starting, stopping and turning. I then rode around for a while for aerobic activity. I still have a death grip on my handlebars, but feel a teensy more comfortable. I will keep at it...

No comments: