Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Biking and Scratching

I haven't been very good about blogging and keeping track of our training. Joyce and I are getting a bit nervous about training, will we really be able to do this? We are trying to get more rides in and hopefully we will see a difference soon.

We rode Saturday May 12 along the Steven's Creek Trail and the Palo Alto Baylands. Joyce woke me from a nap and I really wasn't motivated to ride but I managed to wipe the sleep out of my eyes and meet her at the Steven's Creek Trail. Joyce put a few extra miles in going to the southern end of the trail while waiting for me to get myself together and to the trail. It was a bit windy but generally flat. I didn't record the numbers but we rode about 20 miles, average ~11.9 MPH, max was in the mid-20s, altitude ~ +200, -200 (I really need to start recording these numbers before the next ride, what good is a gadget if you can't quote it?)
I was glad that Joyce motivated me to get out and ride, if it weren't for her I am sure I would have continued napping. Plus it was a pleasant ride, no big struggles, some nice scenery (although the dump and waste treatment area are a bit stinky).

I left my bike at Joyce's that night so she could bring it to campus for a ride on Sunday after I was done rounding. We rode from the Stockfarm parking lot up Alpine to Portola and Sand Hill. We then took Whiskey Hill to Woodside Road and then headed back to campus on Alameda de las Pulgas to Junipero Serra. At the entrance to the dish we headed back through campus to our cars. We would have kept riding but we had dinner plans at Tzielan's. We rode 22 miles in 1 hour 46 minutes. Our average speed was 12.4 MPH, max 33.4 MPH. Our max altitude was 467 feet, the trip altitudes were +987, -977. The average grade was 0% (as with all of our trips so far), the max +8%.

After a quick shower I headed to Tzielan's and enjoyed the BEST kabobs ever (Joyce and I have learned that everything is the best after biking). We then played with Vienna and Tyler until it was bedtime. We slept well too!

Today I finally went to my doctor to discuss my poison oak. It has continued to spread and is driving me crazy. I can't stop scratching, and I know it is bad to scratch. My doctor thinks I need more prednisone, I didn't take enough last week. I decided to try it, hopefully I won't get too psychotic. Joyce took a picture May 12, here it is:



Joyce says it looks like lichen on rocks. Thanks Joyce :) I do have to wonder if people see me and worry I have some contagious skin disease. I think they are safe, so far only David got the rash and he pulled pinkie and me out of the bush so that is not too surprising.

This evening we went for another ride. We wanted to try something other than the Baylands, especially since there is not much climbing. We rode south on Steven's Creek Trail, up Grant -->Cuesta-->Foothill Expressway-->Arastradero-->Page Mill-->Foothill-->Arastradero-->Charleston-->Middlefield (after a few u-turns trying to figure out which way to go) and then home. After all that, we only rode 19 miles over 1 hour 35 minutes, with an average speed of 11.9 MPH, max 29.3 MPH. Max altitude +218, trip altitudes +542, -546. Max grade 12%. I think our speed was decreased a bit because of all the starts and stops at lights and stop signs.

That is it for now. Not much but numbers. Hopefully Joyce's blogging will be more entertaining.

No comments: